India launches new visa rules to boost tourism
Visitors from 43 countries no longer have to queue up at local embassies, but can instead apply for their visas online and collect them at airports.
There were 6.58 visitors to India in 2012, far fewer than to Asian countries like Thailand and Malaysia.
Tourism Minister Mahesh Sharma said the change would be a boost to the industry. In a statement he said the scheme was ''a dream come true for the entire tourism industry of India and is bound to positively impact the economy''. He also said that ''The government's objective is to boost tourism and this scheme's implementation will send out a clear message that India is serious about making travel to the country easy.''
India previously offered visas-on-arrival to visitors from only 12 countries. Most other foreigners had to wait several weeks before learning whether they would be allowed to enter India.
The new visa-on-arrival will be available at nine major airports in India.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi's BJP government has pledged to boost tourism since his party won a landslide election victory earlier this year.
- International Women’s Day
- Love Is In The Air
- Happy Republic Day 2020
- Wrap the old year with a bow - Start a new one with a bang
- Shocking sale on Black Friday
- Diwali - the festival of lights
- Five useful tips for your India trip
- Top 3 places for a wonderful trip to India
- Travel is better with friends. 35% e-Visa discount for you and your friends to travel the world
- Pack your back because summer is back!
- May the lovely festival of Easter brings you lots of joy, love and happiness.
- Happy Women’s Day - We are stronger together!
- Chinese new year: a blessing for everyone!
- Make Yourself Comfortable With This Amazing Gift
- Check out Our Mysterious Gift in this Halloween now
- Explore new places with 20% DISCOUNT now
- This web browser will upgrade to TLS 1.1
- Hot deal for you to discover India's Heaven
- India applies free e-visa for Indonesians
- Summer 2018 hot deal of eVISA
- 5 Tips for India first-timers (Part 1)
- Mouthwatering foods to eat in India-Part 2
- 300 Cheaper eVisa on Easter Day!
- The mouthwatering foods to eat in India-Part 1
- Great festivals in India, great Deal for e-Visa!
- Sweet Promotion for Valentine’s Day only
- Apply Visa with cheap price in 2018
- BEST DEAL for 2017 holiday trip
- Big SALE on Black Friday – 17 Nov, 2017
- Great Discount for Halloween – Oct 31, 2017
- India eVisa information
- Where to go in India
- Indian Cuisines
- Holidays in India in 2015
- Things to know before visiting India
- Overview about India
- India changes name of visa on arrival to eVisa
- Top 10 tourist attractions in India
- Weather in India